Friday, August 14, 2009

Commencement

If you didn't already notice, this is my blog. Welcome.

Tomorrow, at 10:05 AM Greenwich Mean Time +1 I will arrive in Paris after a long and arduous 2.25 years away from her cobblestone streets, stuffy metros, overpriced boutiques, 19th century masonry, fanny-pack sporting tourists, and somewhat aloof but altogether genial population of 18-30 year olds (I never quite got alone with anyone between the ages of 30 and 60).

Currently, however, it's 3:30 AM Mountain Standard Time, and I'm practicing the Marissa Maharaj approach to Jet Lag, referred to on the street as: "Don't Sleep, Don't Eat, Eat, Then Sleep Good." I've heard good things, and they may start selling an "As-Seen-On-TV-How-To Guide for properly administering the DSDEETSG Jet Lag cure," so probably watch out for that and pick one up at your local bookstore.

Unlike my previous blog, this one will not dryly highlight the minutiae of my everyday life abroad. It will be a venue for you, dear reader, to get a glimpse of what i'm seeing, experiencing, thinking, and feeling...rather than what i'm doing (unless it's pretty cool and will make you feel jealous, then i'll put it up here. though i'll try to leave out telling you about my essay topics and reading assignments).

In any case, I'm off to Paris for 2 weeks to see old friends, walk old haunts, and altogether relieve the nostalgia that has on-again off-again haunted me over the past two years. I hear Paris is deserted in August (not counting the tourists of course), so I can only hope there's enough room for me to roam, enough friends to catch up with, and enough people to engage with my rusty, American-tinged French.

Cheers. Here's to the next 2 weeks, and the next 4 months.







2 comments:

  1. i was here.
    led by the guiding hand of google reader.
    keep it fresh.
    make it french.
    drink all the espresso you can.
    because when you get back.....
    when you get back......
    ooooooooohhh,
    i'm already pre-gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. em....(cough) i trust that you practiced the DETAILED anti-jet lag plan, as opposed to the street version mentioned here. :)

    ReplyDelete