Saturday, September 5, 2009

Meet Emmelle

So I've made a few new friends over the past couple days, but none more important than Emmelle.

Truly, out of everyone here in the program, I will probably spend more quality, intimate time with her than I will with Alex or Nate.

Because I bought her, some might say that we might not have a 'legal' or 'legitimate' relationship, but, I would argue, rather, that her and I were meant to be together and have a special bond, ordained since the beginning of time.

Meet Emmelle, my new bicycle.

Whilst buying the bike, the nice British bike expert at the shop was saying that she was a good bike, just so long as I didn't have to go up Headington Hill (the only hill in Oxford, which, coincidentally, I do have to go up everyday). But, I figure that: 1--this hill is no Third Avenue West, and 2--I need some way to burn off those pounds I'm putting on at the pubs. So, this whole being-placed-in-the-house-that-I-didn't-apply-to-live-in business may actually turn out to be a good thing for my general health and well-being.

In other news, I'm living in Oxford (I guess technically Headington but who's really counting), where time is measured in centuries, not decades or years; where browsing a section of the library (that, mind you, only students can enter) merits condescending glances and furrowed brows; where intellectual inquiry and somewhat pretentious-sounding conversation is not only commonplace but expected; and where you often fully expect Harry Potter to pop out of about half of the buildings on campus.

Like I said, I've met a lot of people. Some really interesting, and others really 'interesting.' But there are definitely some gems and I'm excited to spend the next three months mining their brains and hearts (and, come to think of it, my own as well).


2 comments:

  1. So, uh, Brent, Mr. Rogers here (not THAT 'Mister Rogers' - he's dead, rather father of Nate here), glad to hear things are going so swimmingly, but that's a girl's bike - just thought you'd like to know. Personally I like it...
    DAN

    ReplyDelete